2 cups basil leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts (lightly toasted)
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp pepper
½ cup olive oil
Salt to taste
Olive oil (extra for storage)
10 Minutes Total Time
- Place the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and pepper in a food processor. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the olive oil. Blitz until the mixture has started to combine then slowly pour in the remaining olive oil in a thin stream.
- The longer you blitz the mixture, the smoother your pesto will be.
- If you prefer a chunky pesto, limit the amount of time the motor is running.
- Taste and season with salt accordingly.
- If not using immediately, spoon into a glass jar and cover with extra olive oil.
- Your pesto is ready to use immediately. If you don’t need to use it right away, pour it into a sterilised glass jar then cover with extra olive oil until it is completely covered. This will help prevent your pesto from turning brown.
- Your pesto will keep in the fridge for a week if covered with oil, or it can be frozen and defrosted as required.